An Introduction to Current Trends and Benefits of Mobile Wireless Technology Use in Higher Education
Save to My Collections
Kim, S.H., Mims, C. & Holmes, K.P. (2006). An Introduction to Current Trends and Benefits of Mobile Wireless Technology Use in Higher Education. AACE Journal, 14(1), 77-100. Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/6158.
Volume 14, Issue 1, January 2006
Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE) Chesapeake, VA
More Information on AACEJ
The development of mobile wireless technologies has generated a considerable amount of excitement among practitioners and academics because it results in shifting the academic environment from traditional settings to mobile learning (m-learning) settings. Increasing numbers of institutions of higher education offer courses using mobile wireless technologies as alternative teaching and learning tools. However, regardless of such interests in mobile wireless technologies in higher education, there is lack of academic research on the use of mobile wireless technologies in the higher education setting. The purpose of this article is to examine current information on mobile wireless technologies and answer three crucial questions such as (1) What types of mobile wireless technologies are currently being used in higher education? (2) How do mobile wireless technologies access to network resources? (3) What are the benefits of mobile wireless technologies in higher education? Without understanding of these issues, it is virtually impossible to study any subject of mobile wireless technologies in higher education.
- Anderson , C . (1997) . Enab l ing and shap ing unders tand ing through tu tor ials . In F . Marton , D . Hounsell , & N . Entwistle , (Eds .) , The experience o f learn ing (2nd ed . , pp . 184-197) . Edinburgh , UK: Scottish Academic Press .
- BenMoussa , C . (2003 , April) . Workers on the move: New oppor tun i t ies through mob i le commerce . Paper presented at the UKAIS Conference ,
- Boggs, R. (2002). ECAR study: Trends in wireless communications in higher education, seminar on academic computing. Retrieved November 9, 2005, from https://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/EDU0218.pdf
- Cisco System (2003 , January) . Lou is iana S ta te Un ivers i ty imp lemen ts
- C isco CTE 1400 ser ies con ten t trans forma t ion eng ines . Retrieved November 9 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /www .c isco .com /warp /pub l ic /cc /pd /w i tc / c te1400 /prod l i t / lou is_bc .h tm
- Cole , G . (2001 , June) . The classless society . Connec t ics . Re tr ieved November
- Crawford, V., & Vahey, P. (2001). Palm education pioneers program: Round I preliminary evaluation report: SRI International. Retrieved November 9, 2005, from http://www.palmgrants.sri.eom/PEP_R1_Report.pdf
- Market Data Retrieval (2003) . Co l lege techno logy rev iew: 2003-2004 Year .
- Oku , M . (2001 , Ju ly) . H igh- leve l educa t iona l per formance br ings innova- t ions to corpora te cu l ture . Re tr ieved November 9 , 2005 , from h t tp : / / www .sw .nec .co . Jp /eng l ish /spec ia l /e_ learn ing / topmess01 .h tm l
- Samuels , S . (2001 , December) . I wanna hold your handheld: ITS explores ways to suppor t PDAs , facu l ty & S taff news . Fyi , 39(8) . Re tr ieved November 9 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /www .u iowa .edu /~fy i / issues2001_v39 / 12072001 /pdas .h tm l
- Sims , G . (2002) . UT@2015: A pocket PC experience . Educause Quar ter ly , 2 , 69-72 .
- Swett , C . (2002 , Oc tober) . College students’ use of mobile wireless- internet connec tions becomes more common . Kn igh t R idder Tr ibune Bus iness News , Washington , DC .
- Tao , E . (2003 , Ju ly) . W ire less ne twork dep loymen t and i ts impac ts on teach ing and learn ing—a case s tudy of Ca l iforn ia S ta te Un ivers i ty Mon terey Bay . Proceed ings o f Sy l labus , San Jose Marriott , Stanford Un ivers i ty .
- Trifonova , A . (2003) . Mob ile learn ing—rev iew of the l iterature. (Technology
- Opening Up Learning with Mobile Technologies
- The intractability of information: non-governmental development organizations and the uses of knowledge
- Introducing a Wiki in EFL Writing Class
- A Special Passage Through Asia E-Learning
- Education and Information Technology 2012: A Selection of AACE Award Papers
- Digital Trends among Japanese University Students: Podcasting and Wikis as Tools for Learning
- The International Handbook Summit Call to Action for Learning with Technology in the 21st Century
- Usage Analysis in Learning Systems
- Towards a model for m-learning in Africa
- The Development of “Modular Interactive Tutorial” based Model of Instruction for the Subject of Computer Based Instruction for the (Study) Program of Educational Technology
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.