Video Streaming in Online Learning
Save to My Collections
Hartsell, T. & Yuen, S.C.Y. (2006). Video Streaming in Online Learning. AACE Journal, 14(1), 31-43. Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/6152.
Volume 14, Issue 1, January 2006
Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE) Chesapeake, VA
More Information on AACEJ
The use of video in teaching and learning is a common practice in education today. As learning online becomes more of a common practice in education, streaming video and audio will play a bigger role in delivering course materials to online learners. This form of technology brings courses alive by allowing online learners to use their visual and auditory senses to learn complex concepts and difficult procedures. This paper offers an overview of using streaming video in the online educational environment and discusses the various formats of streaming media. The various hardware and software programs used to create streaming video is also examined along with the advantages and drawbacks of using streaming video in online instruction. Finally, a discussion of how streaming video can be used in online instruction and its curricular applications are addressed.
- Abou tV ideoEd i t ing . (2003a) . S tream ing v ideo over the web . Retrieved November 4 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /www .abou tv ideoed i t ing .com /ar t ic les /webstreaming-video .shtml
- Abou tV ideoEd i t ing . (2003b) . How to shoo t s tream ing v ideos for the web . Re tr ieved November 4 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /www .abou tv ideoed i t ing .com / articles/shooting-streaming-video .shtml
- Co l lege of Ex tended Educa t ion . (2003) . How are ins truc tors us ing s treaming media? Re tr ieved November 4 ,
- Garrison , W . (2001) . Video streaming into the mainstream . Journa l o f Audiovisual Media in Medicine , 24(4) , 174-178 .
- Joint Information Systems Committee . (2002) . V ideo s tream ing: A gu ide for educational development . Manchester , UK: JISC Click and Go Video Project .
- Kennedy , T . (1999) . What is streaming med ia? S tream ing Med ia Wor ld. Re tr ieved November 4 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /smw . In terne t .com /gen / tu tor / wha t is
- Kennedy , T . (2001a) . S tream ing bas ics : Shoo t ing v ideo for s tream ing . S tream ing Med ia Wor ld. Re tr ieved November 4 , 2005 , from h t tp : / / smw .internet .com/video/tutor/streambasics1
- Kennedy , T . (2001b) . S tream ing bas ics : Ed i t ing v ideo for s tream ing . S tream ing Med ia Wor ld. Re tr ieved November 4 , 2005 , from h t tp : / / smw .internet .com/video/tutor/streambasics2/index .html
- Lorance , J . (2003) . Webcas t ing and web s tream ing . TechSoup . Retrieved November 4 ,
- Marioni , R . (2004) . S tream ing v ideo for the masses . Retrieved November 4 , 2005 , from
- Reed , R . (2003) . Streaming techno logy improves s tudent achievement . T .H .E . Journal , 30(7) , 14-20 .
- Schmerbeck , A . (2000) . S tream ing v ideo . Retrieved November 4 , 2005 , from http ://www .edb .utexas .edu /multimedia/S treaming%20Video .pdf
- Segal , N . (2001) . Creating quality streaming video . S tream ing Med ia Wor ld . Re tr ieved November 4 , 2005 , from h t tp : / /smw . In terne t .com / v ideo / tu tor /v ideo t ips / index3 .h tm l
- Shepard , K . (2004) . Ques t ion ing , promo t ing , and eva lua t ing the use of s tream ing v ideo to suppor t s tuden t learn ing . In J .J . H irschbuh l & D . B ishop (Eds .) , Compu ters in educa t ion (pp . 124-130) . Guilford , CT: McGraw-Hill/Dushkin .
- Weiser , C . (2002) . Video streaming . Media & Methods , 38 (4) , 10-14 . Zachariah , K . (2001) . A technical view: Streaming Web video . Sy l labus , 15(4) ,
- Experiences from the use of streaming video to support the students’ learning.
- Distance Makes No Difference, using streaming video to enhance curriculum K-12
- Streaming Media in Schools: Patterns of Systemic Implementation and Use
- Introducing Video streaming Technology to Meet the Needs of All Learners:Pre-professional And Graduate Student Experiences
- The Connected Learning Space
- Elementary Principals as Technology Instructional Leaders
- Constructing a streaming video-based learning forum for collaborative learning
- Leadership and Technology: The big … well, part of the big picture.
- Changing cultures, changing practices: Using mobile tools, the cloud and ePortfolios for authentic assessment
- E-learning and ADDIE Model
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.