Teaching Computers to Tell Learning Stories: Using Critical Narrative Theory to Frame Design and Evaluation Strategies for Online Educational Experiences
Save to My Collections
Voithofer, R. (2004). Teaching Computers to Tell Learning Stories: Using Critical Narrative Theory to Frame Design and Evaluation Strategies for Online Educational Experiences. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 13(1), 47-72. Norfolk, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/4781.
Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia
Volume 13, Issue 1, January 2004
Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE) Norfolk, VA
More Information on JEMH
Through a critical analysis of Classroom Connect?s Quest experiences from 1998-2002, this study provides a framework for using narrative theory to guide the design and evaluation of educational multimedia and online education. Narrative theory, derived from literary and media studies and influenced by cultural studies, offers numerous parallels to learning theories that circulate in educational technology scholarship while providing designers with sophisticated conceptual tools to create culturally relevant educational experiences. By using discourse analysis to analyze narrative structures including genre, story and plot, place and setting, time, character and characterization, point of view and focalization, complication, crisis, resolution and coda, this study meshes learning theories and systematic instructional design approaches with cultural theories of pedagogy that address the relationships between the intersections of race, class, gender, ethnicity, geography, and nation with learning.
- The Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling
- Learning History with Biography-based Video & Web Tools: Research Results
- Researching and Evaluating Digital Storytelling as a Deep Learning Tool
- A Multilevel Approach to Using Digital Storytelling in the Classroom
- Learning DesignerTM: A Theory-Based SCORMCompliant Content Development Tool
- Digital Storytelling as Narrative Pedagogy
- Digital Storytelling by In-service Teachers: “Reflection of My Teaching Life”
- An Investigation of Behaviorist and Cognitive Approaches to Instructional Multimedia Design
- Digital Storytelling and Reflective Assessment
- Digital Storytelling: Moving from Promise to Practice
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.