Digital Readers: An Emerging Technology in Education
Save to My Collections
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (SITE) 2011
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
March 7, 2011
Matthew Koehler & Punya Mishra
More Information on SITE
Table of Contents
In the digital age of the 21st century, it is commonplace to see numerous individuals accessing handheld devices on a daily basis. Mobile devices are owned and used by virtually every person for texting, connecting to the Internet, sending and receiving email, and communicating via telephone. These devices allow for downloads of applications enabling the user to read documents of many file formats. Digital readers, also known as e-book or e-readers, are included in the variety of handheld devices now being sold worldwide. The ever-increasing popularity of digital readers in the consumer market is now beginning to emerge in the classroom. Many textbooks are now published and sold in both paper and digital format, due to growth in the demand for electronic information in schools. This paper will discuss the past, present, and future emerging technology of digital readers and their promising potential for utilization in educational institutions
Kossey, J. & Brown, V. (2011). Digital Readers: An Emerging Technology in Education. In M. Koehler & P. Mishra (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2011 (pp. 3280-3283). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Retrieved December 5, 2013 from http://www.editlib.org/p/36824.
- Using Gaming Literacies to Cultivate New Literacies
- iPads in the Classroom – New Technologies, Old Issues: Are they worth the effort?
- Channeling the channel: Can iPad meet the needs of today’s M-Learner
- A Faculty’s Perspective and Use of Plagiarism Detection Software
- Using mobile phones to increase classroom interaction
- Mobile Augmented Reality as an Emerging Technology in Education
- iClassroom, Learning on the Go
- Transformative Education through Cultural Diversity and Technology Training
- "Look, it's turning!" Factors Affecting Structural and Functional Knowledge Acquistion in an Elementary School Robotics Classroom
- Roundtable Horizons of Educational Innovations: 8 Practical and Live Demonstrations of the new technologies that will have the most impact in education in the next few years and that all teachers can use.
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.