Title: Characteristics of YouTube Use and Users: Implications for Education
Save to My Collections
Lin, M.F.G., Michko, G. & Bonk, C. (2009). Title: Characteristics of YouTube Use and Users: Implications for Education. In T. Bastiaens et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2009 (pp. 2855-2862). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/32890.
World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (ELEARN) 2009
October 26, 2009
Theo Bastiaens, Jon Dron & Cindy Xin
More Information on ELEARN
Table of Contents
This literature review and survey research investigated the characteristics of adult users of the online video sharing site YouTube. Survey respondents reported on their ownership of hardware devices, Web 2.0 activities and social network activities, as well as rating a randomly assigned video. Based on results, recommendations are made for educational uses of YouTube videos. We suggest employing an alternative discussion forum to foster social interaction when incorporating YouTube videos in teaching. Furthermore, it might be necessary to scaffold advanced technology tools before implementing them in the classroom. In addition, we suggest the development of shorter, informative videos with rich text information, and encourage video searching and sharing as a learning assignment.
- Designing with and for Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: The Evolution of GeoThentic
- Using e-Learning Technologies in Developing Remeditainment Products for the Treatment of Children with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)
- Post degree online course in Haematopathology and e-Learning: description of an innovative curriculum in e-Learning
- Podcasts in Higher Education: What Students Want, What They Really Need, and How This Might be Supported
- Using RSS in Collaborative Course Development
- Teaching for Success: Technology and Learning Styles in Preservice Teacher Education
- Reducing E-Learning Development Costs Using a Streamlined XML-based Approach
- Inspiring Learning and Teaching: Using e-tools to Facilitate Change
- Using Authentic Situations and Avatars to Build Knowledge in an E-Learning Environment
- Scenario making support in PBL
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.