Leveraging cognitive technology tools to expand opportunities for critical thinking in elementary mathematics
Save to My Collections
Suh, J. (2010). Leveraging cognitive technology tools to expand opportunities for critical thinking in elementary mathematics. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 29(3), 289-302. Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/32255.
Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching
Volume 29, Issue 3, August 2010
Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE) Chesapeake, VA
More Information on JCMST
The following study describes design research in an elementary school near the metropolitan D.C. area with a diverse student population. The goal of the project was to design tasks that leveraged technology and enhance the access to critical thinking in specific mathematical concepts: data analysis and probability. It highlights the opportunities that technology-rich mathematics environments afford the teachers and the students in their ability to teach and learn through critical thinking. In addition, the article illustrates how to design and implement mathematical tasks using technology to give opportunities for higher mathematical thinking processes as defined by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM, 2000): problem solving, connections, representations, communication, reasoning and proof.
- Designing with and for Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: The Evolution of GeoThentic
- Using e-Learning Technologies in Developing Remeditainment Products for the Treatment of Children with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)
- Post degree online course in Haematopathology and e-Learning: description of an innovative curriculum in e-Learning
- Podcasts in Higher Education: What Students Want, What They Really Need, and How This Might be Supported
- Using RSS in Collaborative Course Development
- Teaching for Success: Technology and Learning Styles in Preservice Teacher Education
- Reducing E-Learning Development Costs Using a Streamlined XML-based Approach
- Five-Picture Charades: A Flexible Model for Technology Training in Digital Media Tools and Teaching Strategies
- Using Authentic Situations and Avatars to Build Knowledge in an E-Learning Environment
- Inspiring Learning and Teaching: Using e-tools to Facilitate Change
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.