Wiki as a Professional Development Tool
Save to My Collections
Foley, B. & Chang, T. (2008). Wiki as a Professional Development Tool. In K. McFerrin et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2008 (pp. 2959-2966). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/27677.
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (SITE) 2008
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
March 3, 2008
Karen McFerrin, Roberta Weber, Roger Carlsen & Dee Anna Willis
More Information on SITE
Table of Contents
This paper examines how wiki technology can be used to support teacher professional development. Wiki is a type of interactive web site that allows users to contribute and edit content. This technology can be used in a number of ways, but in each case the contributions of the participants are the key source for information on the site. Wiki technology can provide a space for the social construction of the knowledge of a community. The study looks at wiki use in teacher professional development and by a class of high school students. All users had some concerns about the process, but most viewed it favorably. Teachers were much more reluctant to edit each others' work than the high school students. Recommendations for future use include strong scaffolding of the process in the early stages concerning what to contribute and when to edit pages.
- Making Hypermedia Dynamic: Hypervideo for Teaching Technology and Interaction
- Designing and Evaluating Software Supports for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders in a 3D Virtual Learning Environment
- Can We Model Wiki Use in Technology Courses to Help Teachers Use Wikis in their Classrooms?
- The Effects of Modality and Multimedia Comprehension on the Performance of Students with Varied Multimedia Comprehension Abilities when Exposed to High Complexity, Self-paced Multimedia Instructional Materials
- Meaningful Learning with Wikis: Making a Connection
- Wikis, blogs, and all that stuff: Pre-service teacher experiences with web-based technologies in an interdisciplinary methods course
- How Web 2.0 Technologies Are Used in Higher Education: An Updated Review of Literature
- Incorporating Wikis in an Educational Technology Course: Ideas, Reflections and Lessons Learned …
- Education and Information Technology 2012: A Selection of AACE Award Papers
- Wiki Productivity and Discussion Forum Activity in a Postgraduate Online Distance Learning Course
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.