Characteristics of Adult Learners With Implications for Online Learning Design
Save to My Collections
Cercone, K. (2008). Characteristics of Adult Learners With Implications for Online Learning Design. AACE Journal, 16(2), 137-159. Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/24286.
Volume 16, Issue 2, April 2008
Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE) Chesapeake, VA
More Information on AACEJ
The online educational environment is increasingly being used by adults and should be designed based on the needs of adult learners. This article discusses andragogy, an important adult learning theory, and reviews three other adult learning theories: self-directed learning, experiential learning, and transformational learning. During this discussion, the theories are examined for the ways in which they may be applied to the design of online learning environments. In addition, the characteristics of adult learners are examined, and an analysis of how these characteristics influence the design of an online learning environment is presented. Recommendations follow regarding how to design an online classroom environment while considering the application of adult learning theories.
- Designing with and for Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: The Evolution of GeoThentic
- Using e-Learning Technologies in Developing Remeditainment Products for the Treatment of Children with Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)
- Post degree online course in Haematopathology and e-Learning: description of an innovative curriculum in e-Learning
- Podcasts in Higher Education: What Students Want, What They Really Need, and How This Might be Supported
- Using RSS in Collaborative Course Development
- Teaching for Success: Technology and Learning Styles in Preservice Teacher Education
- Using Authentic Situations and Avatars to Build Knowledge in an E-Learning Environment
- Inspiring Learning and Teaching: Using e-tools to Facilitate Change
- Reducing E-Learning Development Costs Using a Streamlined XML-based Approach
- Five-Picture Charades: A Flexible Model for Technology Training in Digital Media Tools and Teaching Strategies
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.