i-Bee: the CSCL Assessment Tool for Making the Status of Discussion Visible
Save to My Collections
World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EDMEDIA) 2004
Lorenzo Cantoni & Catherine McLoughlin
More Information on EDMEDIA
Table of Contents
This paper describes a CSCL (Computer Supported Collaborative Learning) Assessment tool that aims at visualizing discussions among learners participating on electronic forums using a text-mining technique. The software, named "i-Bee" (Bulletin board EnvisionEr), is able to visually show the co-occurrence relations of topic keywords of each learner using correspondence Analysis. Furthermore, i-Bee can show how actively each learner discusses; how each learner contributes to online discussions; and the frequency the learners use each keyword. In this paper, the authors report the rationale, the basic algorithm, and the implementation of i-Bee.
Mochizuki, T., Fujitani, S., Hisamatsu, S.i., Yaegashi, K., Nagata, T., Nakahara, J., Nishimori, T., Suzuki, M. & Kato, H. (2004). i-Bee: the CSCL Assessment Tool for Making the Status of Discussion Visible. In L. Cantoni & C. McLoughlin (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2004 (pp. 1200-1205). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Retrieved December 7, 2013 from http://www.editlib.org/p/12626.
- An International Comparative Analysis of the Relationships between Teaching Activities, Student Attitudes and their Achievements in Science
- An Survey regarding Intention of the Use of Information and Communication Technology on Course Instruction for Online Teaching Plan Database Development
- An attitude survey of motivations with interactive whiteboard and slate computer adoption in science education
- Video Learning Materials for Teacher Training Sessions to Provide Understanding of International Education
- Does Teaching Presence Change Over Time?
- Assessment of Collaborative Learning for Students: Making the State of Discussion Visible for their Reflection by Text Mining of Electronic Forums
- Development of Collaborative Learning Assessment Tool with Multivariate Analysis Applied to Electronic Discussion Forums
- A Text-Mining Analysis of Preservice Teachers' Teaching Portfolios and Their Reflective Practices with the INTASC Standards: Preliminary Findings
- An Effective Application of HDTV-based Videoconference System for Inservice Teachers’ Lesson Study in A Graduate School of Education
- The Utilization of Electronic Portfolios (ePortfolios) in the Development of Teacher-Leader Candidates
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.