To view the full text of this article...
Subscribe for faster access!
Subscribe for only $19/month (or $150/year) and receive immediate access to 100,000+ documents/media files.
Purchase individual articles and papers
Purchase fulltext access to individual articles and papers for $9.95 USD each. You can purchase as a guest or save your information for faster access later.
Already have an account?
If you are accessing the system through an institution or library, find out if they have a subscription to the digital library. If they do, please have them contact us with the IP address for this machine: 184.108.40.206.
Preparing English Language Learners for Academic Success in the 21st Century: Teaching Multiple Literacies
Save to My Collections
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (SITE) 2010
San Diego, CA, USA
March 29, 2010
David Gibson & Bernie Dodge
More Information on SITE
Table of Contents
During this session, we will: 1) discuss the emergence of new literacies, especially digital storytelling, in the teaching and learning of English Language Learners (ELLs); 2) engage participants in an interactive discussion concerning the implications of the various new literacies for pedagogical practice; 3) demonstrate the power of digital storytelling in promoting the learning of ELLs by showing on a laptop a digital story produced by one of our students; 4) share the process of creating personal stories using a storyboard technique as a learning and teaching tool; and 5) invite participants to share their experience of creating a personal story as a way to explore how they would translate this written story into a digital form. Through these activities, we hope that participants will be motivated to explore other pedagogical possibilities for helping ELLs acquire new literacies and literate skills, thereby broadening these students’ educational experience.
Chen, J. & Yildiz, M. (2010). Preparing English Language Learners for Academic Success in the 21st Century: Teaching Multiple Literacies. In D. Gibson & B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2010 (pp. 3152-3155). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Retrieved December 8, 2013 from http://www.editlib.org/p/33854.
- Digital Storytelling: Strategies Using VoiceThread
- Viva VoiceThread: Integrating a Web 2.0 Tool in the Additional Language Classroom
- QR Codes: A Quick Response for Education
- Visualizing and Verbalizing by Digital Storytelling in English Reading class in Japanese University
- Beyond the Book: Using VoiceThread in Language Arts Instruction
- Engaging Students in Interactive Online Discussions with VoiceThread (an audio/blogging tool)
- Development of a Multimedia Software System for Teaching English as a Foreign Language to South Korean University Students
- SITE's Digital Fabrication Initative
- Instructional Design Considerations for Science E-Learning
- Emerging Vocabulary Learning: From a Perspective of Activities Facilitated by Mobile Devices
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.