Students’ use of technologies to support formal and informal learning
Save to My Collections
Margaryan, A., Nicol, D., Littlejohn, A. & Trinder, K. (2008). Students’ use of technologies to support formal and informal learning. In J. Luca & E. Weippl (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2008 (pp. 4257-4266). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/28976.
World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EDMEDIA) 2008
June 30, 2008
Joseph Luca & Edgar R. Weippl
More Information on EDMEDIA
Table of Contents
This paper outlines a study investigating the educational potential of emergent social technologies and current practices of students and academics of higher education institutions in using these technologies to support learning in both formal and informal domains. Firstly, findings from a literature review exploring educational benefits of digital technologies are outlined. Secondly, results of a small scale empirical study investigating students’ and teachers’ experiences with using these tools to support learning are discussed. Based on the literature review and the data, a range of barriers to integration of these technologies within higher education are synthesised. Finally, a set of recommendations to addressing these barriers are proposed.
- Users’ Attitudes and Perceptions toward Online Social Networking Tools
- Social Networks in Education
- Student and Faculty uses of Social Networking to Advance Learning in a Higher Education Classroom
- Education and Information Technology 2012: A Selection of AACE Award Papers
- Social Networking Tools for Teacher Education
- Moodle vs. Facebook: Does using Facebook for Discussions in an Online Course Enhance Perceived Social Presence and Student Interaction?
- Let’s ‘Face’ It: Facebook as an Educational Tool for College Students
- An Investigation of Student-Teachers’ Use of Social Networks and their Perceptions of Using Technology for Teaching and Learning
- Investigation on Educational Applications in Social Networking
- Opening Facebook: How to Use Facebook in the College Classroom
Comments & Discussion
Comment on the paper above. You must be registered to participate. Registration is free.